Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Gimmicks May Hurt More Than Help

Yesterday I drove past a business that had put up a large inflatable duck in front of the business, along the road.  The utter incongruousness of the duck and the business struck me, but I remembered all of the other inflatables, and other gimmicks (e.g. people waving signs while in costume, walking sandwich boards, etc.) I have seen over the years and that's what brought on a frown for the rest of the day.

As with so much in life, there is a point where you can go right over the wall.  Let's take these inflatables, as they are relatively popular.  On the one hand, I can almost see some value in a person hired to, say, wear a Statue of Liberty costume and wave at people to promote a business called "Liberty Tax Preparation".  It's a silly come-on but I did remember the business later and there was some (albeit limited) connection with the brand equity of the business.  But let's say you are a realty office and you decide to put out an inflatable dancing person.  Is this "look at me!!!!" impact overwhelmed by the brand misfit? or the chance it made the realty company look cheesy and "low rent"?  I am a person very sensitive to brand equity and anything that could enhance or damage the same.

Let's put this another way.  The business I passed may have spent a great deal of time and money cultivating a brand that conveyed an image of professionalism, knowledge, and class.  And then one day they put out an inflatable duck.  This guy now suspects the managers of that company of being fools: they certainly thought so little of their target customer that they supposed an inflatable duck would attract new business.

Bottom Line: I urge any small business owner to use gimmicks like this with extreme care.  Be wary of what subconscious message is broadcast that could impair your precious brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment