Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Impressions, Impressions, Impressions

It's a widely accepted view in the marketing trade that the consumer only "locks in" to a business when they have passed a certain critical threshold of advertising messages.  Most of the texts think that's at least three impressions.  My own sense is that the critical threshold is higher---sometimes much higher.

We are not as fortunate as Coca-Cola, Ford Motors, Anheuser-Busch and the other huge concerns that spend staggering amounts on advertising every year.  But the mere fact that these rather well-known companies keep smashing away informs us that one can never stop generating impressions.

Happily, I don't think we as small businesses need to generate triples on every advertising or promotional message we produce.  An ad here, a flyer there, a spoken "commercial" after that...all create momentum for your name and brand.  Even I, observer that I am, find that I only "lock in" after repeated exposures.  In my own networking I am just beginning to associate various people with Top-of-mind-awareness connections after months.  I'm now in a position to serve as part of their marketing, by referring business to them.  It just took a few or more impressions.

Keep the faith! keep the work up to mention your name, work and services when you can.  The impressions add up...to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment