Monday, March 2, 2015

The "Quality" Hustle

I wish I had a nickel for every advertisement I've been exposed to that had some variation of "quality is our middle name."  Or, for that matter signage on vehicles.  I'd be a wealthy man.  

A wise person long ago told me that "greatness does not have to be explained."  Ads that stress what should be normal operating principles have already lost the battle.  If the business does not produce quality products and services, these messages are insulting.  If they do, the message is unnecessary and still raises questions.  All this is to say that if a business thinks that pronouncing their work is quality (i.e. that the competitor's isn't) they are awfully detached from reality.

Quality products and services speak for themselves.  Satisfied customers come back for more and even talk up the business to friends.

As a matter of fact, when I see these "quality" claims made, I immediately wonder if the business in question is trying to talk past deficiencies.  I get suspicious something is wrong.

Stay calm.  If your work is outstanding, you do not need to say so.  Use advertising and promotion to talk about what is unique, what is different, and what is your passion.  Don't fall for the "quality" hustle!

No comments:

Post a Comment