Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Aligning To Trends: What's The Way To Go?

No matter the era, it is a given that many if not most marketers will align their presentations, products and services to trends.  I vividly remember a late 80s trend when manufacturers scrambled to make their products "clear", when ads first touted low-fat and low-calory, and so many more.  Nowadays there is a strong "sustainability" trend with subplots involving "organic" and "local" accents.  A question arises: is it worth getting on the bandwagon?

It's a tough one.  On the one hand, we want our products and services to adapt to the market lest we find ourselves out of business.  But on the other hand, consumers, I think, can spot the phony adaptations and claims.

I'm firmly in the camp of those who see value in aligning to trends only where it's plausible and necessary.  To market, say, fried chicken and biscuits under a "gluten free" banner is just plain silly.  But if I am in a zone where my product is highly competitive and can be adapted, say, if I sell soup and salad, I might want to adjust the menu accordingly to arguably healthy alternatives.

Furthermore, if I made changes that make sense, I'd caution toning down the advertising.  I confess to be automatically suspicious when a marketing campaign trumpets from the heavens some alignment to a hot trend, as if it was a major triumph.  Something softer, perhaps a second-level notice that says "...and check out our latest X which has less Y and tastes amazing" gets the job done without so much patronizing bloviation.

Last of all, think hard about any change in product or advertising that aligns to a trend.  Remember that the trends come and go, and a mistake will cost your brand dearly.  Keep up but don't move with a mindless herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment